Well, I am preparing to have jaw surgery in July and even though I have a date for the surgery and appointments are going as planned, I still haven't been approved by insurance. They seem to think it is not medically necessary. I wish I could talk to them in person and tell them the pain and difficulties I am having. I can't close my teeth properly, I can't open my mouth very wide. My teeth don't touch on the left. My jaw gets sore easily and is crunchy in the joints.
Anyway, I had an appointment last Thursday with my oral surgeon. They explained all the ins and outs of the surgery and post op things I'll have to deal with. They also took e-rays and did measurements, and took pictures. Apparently my cant is 3mm off. And I can only open my mouth 30 mm wide, whereas the average is 40 mm. That explains a lot, lol! I can hardly keep my mouth open for dental and orthodontic visits, its basically torture. Another cool, but not so cool thing is I can't eat anything harder than apple sauce for 6-8 weeks. Cool cause I might loose weight. But the uncool part is I can't loose too much weight or I'll have to get a feeding tube. No fair!
The surgery will entail them cutting my upper jaw completely away from my skull and cutting off some bone that is on the right side and adding it to the left side, then putting it all back together, a bit forward, and holding it in place with titanium plates and screws. And supposedly I won't be able to feel any of the plates and screws post op. Then they will cut my bottom jaw sideways and slide it forward to meet my upper teeth and hold it together with titanium plates and screws. They will do all of this by going up in the gums as far up as you can go and as far down as you can go so you won't see scars. The whole thing supposedly takes 3 hours. I will spend 1-2 nights in the hospital then get to go home to recover. My whole face will be numb for about 4 weeks, then I will start to get feeling back slowly over time. It could take up to a year to fully get feeling back.
It's too early for me to be nervous, I'm more excited than anything, that I may finally have some relief. Hopefully the insurance will approve on this resubmission.
No comments:
Post a Comment