So a couple of Tuesday was my last day before track out. This time, I didn't plan to go anywhere. I planned to do major house updates! I started with the dining room. Before, it was nice, but it just didn't have much personality.
I went to Lowes and picked out a dozen shades of blue and Ashley helped me pick out my final choices. I painted the top a lighter shade of the bottom's color of blue. I think it turned out nicely.
Later in the week, I created window cornices using fabric that I got on
super sale at JoAnn Fabrics. Yay for saving money! (I won't mention
the fact that I had gone earlier in the week and bought the same fabric,
but not enough, so I had to go back and get more. But at least I got a
coupon!)
Next, I moved on to the half bath downstairs. Again, it was ok, but the green makes it so much more cheery!
Finally, I moved to the kitchen. That, I must say, was the hardest paint job I have ever done. So many nooks and crannies, corners and places to edge. Took me two days to get it all painted. But the final job was so worth it. Again, I made window cornices to hang above the windows. I should say that Scott actually built the cornices and helped me staple them on. Mom also helped me sew the striped fabric to make longer pieces, since the bolt wasn't wide enough for the windows. Thanks you guys!
 |
| Drink station/Butler pantry Before |
 |
| Kitchen before |
 |
| Eat in area before |
|
|
 |
| Drink station after |
 |
| Kitchen after |
 |
| Eat in area after |
I also convinced Scott to take a week off of work so he could install the new video screen and bookcase. Yeah, he's probably sorry he agreed to that! The old screen has been covering up a window since we moved in, and I was tired of that dark room! Also, I didn't want it to look permanently like a move theater room.
 |
| Movie Theater...can we say BIG and Where's the window? |
So, on Monday he tore a big hole in the wall and ceiling. It was hard to watch and quite dusty. There is still dust everywhere and we've had to change the AC filters. But he had to do it to make a soffit big enough to hold the new screen, which is retractable. I was only freaking out a little bit. Ok, a lot on the inside, lol!
 |
| Eeek! |
So once he had the destruction done, he began to build the soffit. Let me tell you, there were a lot of little things he discovered along the way that might have made life easier on this project. But basically, it was a nightmare to install the screen. It weighs 100 pounds and with just me to lift it in place while he bolted it up in the attic was almost impossible, and bit scary! But we got it up in there and he put up the drywall. It actually looks very good and discreet, which is what I like!
After taking a day to wire up the speakers and projector through the attic and walls, Scott was ready to start on the built in bookcase. This is something I've been wanting since we moved in. I have so many books for school and we both have so many of our own personal books, that we needed somewhere to put them. The free standing bookcases didn't even have enough room for all of our books. Most of Scott's books are still in boxes in the attic.
 |
| My handy man |
 |
| Starting to look like something |
 |
| A window! With shade! Scott is also building a window seat. |
| |
| Scott had to test out the speakers and the electronics on the projector and screen, so he stuck in a movie. We ended up watching the whole thing! Can anyone guess what it is? |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
So, that's all for now. Today, Scott has cut the shelves and put on banding. He will put on the face plate and the counter top. I'll post more as we move along!
1 comment:
love it! such hard workers, you are.
have no idea what the movie is. tell me, you must.
Post a Comment