Monday, November 4, 2013

Another travel day, to London and Stratford upon Avon- November 4

Today, once again, we had to get up and ready and to the train station by 8:30. This time we rode in a taxi to the train station rather than try to lug all of our luggage up the crazy hills.  Our train ride was nice and sunny and pretty uneventful.  We arrived in London a little before 1:00 and grabbed lunch at the station. Then we went on the underground out to Heathrow airport where our car rental was.  That took about 40 minutes. 
Renting the car was a little different, we actually went out in the lot and picked out the car we wanted and just got in and left. It was so weird to be on the wrong sides of the car on the wrong side of the road!  I let Scott drive because I was too nervous. He did pretty good, considering it was his first time!
We made it to Stratford upon Avon around 5:30 and checked into our hotel.  It seems pretty old, but it's as old as I am. I think they either renovated it into a hotel or built it to look like it's from Shakespeare's times.  It's cool, nonetheless. 
              Scott looking terrified...er, confident as he leaves the airport.
             Wrong side of the road, so weird!
           Our Tudor style hotel room.

After checking in, we walked out to explore and find some food.  We were walking past an old building and saw a guy dressed in Tudor style clothes. We went over to check it out and it was a ghost tour gathering. We spontaneously decided to go, since it was about to start. It was in a creepy, old old building from around the 1200s and had been renovated into a museum to visit during the day around 20 years ago. The museum was cheesy with all these creepy mannequins that were just creepy with all the lights out.  At night, they do ghost tours. Apparently it's a very haunted place and lots of people come to investigate here.  The only thing I noticed was at one point when Scott was behind me it felt like he tugged lightly on the back of my jacket but he says he didn't. I also got a terrible headache when we were in a room that is said to have very high EMFs and it didn't go away till I went to sleep. 
After the tour, we went next door to a pub for dinner, then headed back to the hotel, exhausted from the long day of traveling. Tomorrow, we see all of the Shakespeare sights!
               The Tudor museum
            Our fearless guide, who lives in a room here!

No comments: