I normally stray far away from writing anything remotely controversial on social media, but something has been weighing heavily on my heart lately. As a person who struggled to get pregnant for nearly 3 years and finally was able to have a child thanks to some wonderful couple's generosity and compassion, I cannot fathom how an embryo isn't considered a life. From the moment I saw the picture of the two embryos that were waiting to be transferred, my heart was stirred with love and fear. Fear that these embryos wouldn't attach or thrive. Fear that they wouldn't continue to develop inside of me. Fear that I wouldn't hear a heartbeat. Fear that my baby would spontaneously abort. Fear that I would not stay pregnant. I remember it was close to Christmas when I found out. I could not feel the joy of new pregnancy because I was terrified that I would lose the baby. Even after the first ultrasound where I saw a little gummy bear baby dancing around inside of me as if he was saying hello already. But I knew the entire time that he was alive, a life, a little person. Every ultrasound and doctor visit, I held my breath, waiting to hear that familiar thump thump thump rhythm of his heartbeat. When I felt him stir inside me it was so exciting, and I started to relax a little. As time went on, I felt more secure that this baby was going to make it. But in the back of my mind, I still worried. But not once did I think, or even consider that my baby was just a fetus with no feelings or humanity. I saw him moving and dancing at just 6 weeks! He was alive. He was a little person. He had organs, a brain, a heart, hands and feet.
I just don't understand how he, at just 6 weeks old, might not be considered alive. That he might be considered just a fetus, tissue. No, he was not that. He was my baby, my long awaited, precious, loved, wanted, alive baby. And I am so thankful that I have been blessed to be his mommy.
No comments:
Post a Comment