I'm going to tell a little story about my dad. If anyone who knows this story sees I have my facts wrong, please forgive me. (and let me know what I need to fix!) Once, when he was very little, my grandma and dad were staying with my grandma's parents in Pee Dee, South Carolina. They owned a little general store that was next door to the house. My dad woke up one morning to find no one was in the house. He was a bit frightened, so he decided to run immediately to the store to see where everyone was. Without putting on shoes. Or getting dressed. Now, if you know anything about South Carolina, there is nothing but sand and a few patches of grass if you can grow it. And in that sand grows sand spurs, little spiky things that stick to you like Velcro. As my young father was running to the store, he stepped on one such sand spur. He hopped up immediately on one foot because it hurt. In doing so, he lost his balance and fell. Into a bed of sand spurs. He was covered and the spurs went right through his thin pajamas. The more he tried to move to get out of the bed, the more he covered himself. Soon, all he could do was lay completely still to avoid causing more pain and injury. He began to scream for help. Finally, my grandmother and her parents came out to rescue him. It was not pretty.
Dad, I love you, and now I know where I got my accident proneness from!
 |
| Ralph Sr., my dad (Ralph Jr.) and Sarah | | | | | |
|
|
 |
| Dad and Mary |
No comments:
Post a Comment