So, last night I was on my way to work my last basketball game for Hope for Haiti. I was kindof sad, because this was to be my last basketball game ever, this being the last season our charity will be doing games. I had just run by Elizabeth's house to get the bag of passes and stuff needed for the game and was going to meet two new folks who were also volunteering in Durham. I also had a yummy frappaccino I got from Starbucks. I had been debating between that or a chai latte, but finally decided on the frappaccino because I hadn't had one in a while and was craving something sweet. Thank goodness my sweet tooth won out!
Sitting at a red light on Harrison in the far left lane, waiting to cross over 40 and get on the ramp, I was listening to an interesting podcast from "Stuff you missed in history class" about a female civil war spy. I just happened to glance up while taking a sip of my frap, when I saw a large vehicle coming up from behind in my rearview mirror. It was coming very fast and seemed right up on my bumper. Then I felt it, BAM! I was knocked forward into the car in front of me and my frappaccino exploded everywhere. BAM! I hit the car in front of me and bounced back. BAM! again as I was knocked back into the car that hit me. I was knocked forward once more into the car in front of me which finally was pushed out into the intersection. I felt like a pinball and the thought crossed my mind that this was "the end." But it wasn't, thank you God. I just sat there, shaking, freezing cold from the frappaccino spilled all over me and in my eyes and all I could think of was, I gotta call Elizabeth and tell her what happened so she can get the bag and get to those people. Luckily, my phone was plugged into the car for the podcast, so it was easy to find. But it was covered in frap, so I had to find some napkins to wipe it off since it couldn't sense my fingers. About this time, the other drivers had gotten out of their cars and were looking to see if I was ok. I think the people in front of me thought I had thrown up all over myself because of the white foamy stuff sprayed all over my windshield and body. I called Elizabeth, then Scott and the rest was a blur. Basically, the front and back of my car is smushed, my radiator is toast. The girl who hit me was cited for failure to reduce speed, we think she was a new driver. I am ok, but my arm is sore and my back shoulder blade was sore, too. EMS checked me out and aside from high blood pressure, everything seemed ok. So, last night, the girl's insurance called and got my info and they will be appraising it today. I should know if my baby is totalled, which I am praying it is not. They are also providing me with a rental car.
Here are some pics of the damage:
.JPG) |
| Notice the frappaccino all over the carpet and steering wheel |
.JPG) |
| I imagine it's going to smell yummy tomorrow! |
.JPG) |
| My smushed front bumper |
.JPG) |
| I hit the car in front of me so hard it left an imprint of her "Saturn" logo! |
.JPG) |
| part of my smushed rear bumper |
.JPG) |
| The big truck that hit me. |
.JPG) |
| Good thing I got all the junk out of my trunk before this happened! |
.JPG) |
| Another part of my smushed front bumper. Notice all the grainy stuff they threw down cause my car was leaking something. |
9 comments:
So sorry this happened! Not fun at all. What in the world was the guy in the big truck doing, anyway, that caused him to NOT stop at a red light?
it was a young girl, and based on the fact that marlo said she was on her cell phone non-stop after the accident and the police were irritated and had to tell her to get off so they could question her, i suspect she was texting or talking while driving. arrrghhh!
LOL the saturn imprint!!!! forgive me if i misjudged the girl's reason for not stopping, but i'm a skeptic about those things ;)
A young girl in a huge truck? Not a good combination!
What an experience, Marlo! Tsk, good thing you weren’t seriously hurt! That definitely felt dizzy and confusing… Did you file a case against the girl? You were in front of her, so she should’ve warned you in the first place. Anyway, all’s well that ends well. ;) Be more careful, especially with your frappe, next time, hehe.
Jooseppi Arendonk
It’s a good thing no one was seriously injured. I’m hoping for your fast recovery. As for your car, it can be fixed and restored completely after a couple of trips to the repair shop. Since it wasn’t hit that hard, you can drive it just like before. Just remember to drive safely and be extra cautious.
Lance Simonetti
I’m glad to know that you weren’t seriously hurt in the accident, especially considering how strong the impact was. I hope your car has been fixed or replaced by now. It’s good that the other driver’s insurance company was quick to contact you to get your car situation sorted out.
Tracy Pierre
Unfortunate, but at least the girl’s insurance company was willing to keep in contact with you after the accident. Good thing they also thought of providing you a car rental since it was the girl’s fault. They should also provide medical assistance and follow-up check-ups for you, since the accident caused you minor physical injuries.
Collin Deck
It's really good that no one was seriously hurt. An experience like that helps us a lot to learn and be more careful next time around. Drivers that have had an experience like this are the most careful ones.
Raleigh Crowl
Post a Comment