So, it's been a while since I posted and my sister asks me this morning if I'm going to post about the latest news. I suppose I've lost energy for dealing with this whole thing. Which is exactly what the insurance company wants.
I went to the orthodontist Tuesday, we're down to just maintenance at this point. I'm in the chair waiting to be looked at and I stare at the computer screen that has my information on it. At the top it says that I am 10 months over in the projected completion date. That means I've been wearing braces for over 2 years now, when it originally was supposed to be 15 months. So depressing. No end in sight.
Anyway, the week before last, I went to the dentist for my regular checkup. We got to talking about this waiting for my surgery business. I told him that I had a 4th denial letter, that the insurance board said that it wasn't medically necessary. Well, my dentist got really mad. He told me that anyone who looked at me would see it was medically necessary (not sure if that's comforting or insulting, ha ha!). He was really angry and told me that he intended to write a very strongly worded letter to the insurance people himself. He actually talked to me for about 15 minutes about this, which is more than most of my doctors have given me lately. He assured me that he knew how to get results and that he hasn't failed yet. So I gave him the information. Well, this week he sent me a copy of the letter he sent out, and he wasn't kidding when he said he'd plead my case. I couldn't believe how bold he was. He argued with every point in the insurance denial and ended it with a statement basically saying that my condition is only going to worsen without surgery and at that point I might be seeking legal counsel.
Now, I feel two ways about this letter. Of course, I feel like its the best thing I've seen yet. But at the same time, I'm scared its gonna piss of the insurance company and they'll dig their heels in even deeper.
Meanwhile, I sit in limbo. And in pain. My orthodontist now is preparing me for in case I don't get surgery. He is having me wear bands on one side to help close the gap. The last time he did that, it hurt so much and my jaw started acting like it was gonna lock up on me.
I don't know what to think anymore about all this mess, but I would like to have some clue when its all going to end. If I knew I was going to get the surgery for sure, I could hang in there. But if the insurance company is going to flat out deny me forever and never change their minds, then I want to know so I can move on with my life. This whole thing is absurd to me.
1 comment:
oh no marlo!! i hope your jaw does ok after this adjustment and you aren't in pain over your birthday. drugs are good!
Post a Comment