Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Metal Mouth

Last Wednesday, I went to the Orthodontist.  He decided not to take out the bottom wire, which was a relief.  He then proceeded to clamp the back of one of the brackets on my left side molar to create a ridge.  He hooked a rubber band on it and brought it to the front in a triangle.  I wasn't paying much attention to how he did it because while looking in the mirror he gave me, I noticed a large glob of broccoli, much to my horror...a leftover bit from lunch.  Anyway, I told him I could do it and went on home.  Well, when I took out the rubber band to eat, the sharp metal edges of the ledge shredded my tongue each time it rubbed to move my food (I still can't chew on the right side, it hurts too much, so I have to eat on the left and use my tongue a lot to help).  Then, spent about 10 frustrating minutes trying to get the dang thing back in!  I have no idea how he did it so easily.  
The next day, I went to my oral surgeon again.  I told him about the pain I'm experiencing on the right side and how it hurts just to brush my teeth.  He seemed concerned about this.  He said I shouldn't be experiencing pain.  Then I told him that my tongue is still numb on the right side and I bite it a lot and that I also have been tasting metal for the last 2-3 weeks.  He had me close my eyes and stick out my tongue.  He then poked my tongue different places with a stick and I raised my hand if I felt it.  He told me that he thinks that one or both of the screws in my lower jaw were sticking into a nerve.  He said its good that I feel prickles on my tongue and can taste, which means the nerve is still alive.  He decided that at 6 months post op, he wants to remove the screws on that side.  I have no idea if they're going to put me to sleep but I'm hoping they will, because they will be cutting into the outer part of my cheek to get to the screws.  He also said that it might benefit me to go ahead and take out the bottom wire and put a lighter wire in to relieve the pain.  Unfortunately, he was heading out of town and seemed preoccupied but said he'd contact my orthodontist.  Well, I didn't hear anything from my orthodontist, so I emailed him what my doctor said.  And my orthodontist said he disagrees and wants to keep the wire in.  Sigh...I just wish they would coordinate what they want to do and just do it!  Anyway, that's the latest jaw stuff.  I am worried that this taste will never go away or that I'm always going to be numb on my face.  I understood before that I might have some numb spots but having a completely numb side of your face and mouth are difficult to live with any more.  I just want to feel a little normal again.  My doctor reiterated that I have a very difficult surgery with a lot of movement and torque.  Doesn't make me feel better though. :( 
On a side note, why do people always want to take pictures of you when you really don't want your picture taken?  I know I didn't like my pic taken before surgery, but it's even worse now when I don't feel normal.  I know my face is still swollen and I can't smile right.  I'm extremely self-conscious.  I should scan the hilarious class picture that they took.  But I won't because I look terrible in it!  It is hilarious, though.  All my kids have these crazy looks on their faces and there I am trying to smile but looking like Herman Monster, ha ha!  Anyway,  enough pictures already!  :P

1 comment:

honeyash said...

hey--i'm sure there's some combination of flavors you can whip up that would go good with the metal taste... and i'm not talking tequila! we'll have to experiment. and i promise not to try to take your picture till you are all better :)